Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Why am I doing this?

In the throes of the Hour of Honour I often ask myself "Why am I doing this? Why am I sprinting until I can barely breathe, squatting until my quads feel like they're on fire, doing burpees until I want to puke, cleaning and pressing until my whole body shakes. Why?! WHY??!!" I'll tell you why. As many of you know I was fortunate enough to be chosen to be in a couple of Get RIPPED workout videos with Jari Love (www.jarilove.com). We just filmed this weekend and it was an awesome, amazing experience. It took a lot of preparation for me to not only keep up with the other Get RIPPED crew members, but to look fit and lean like them as well. That's where the strict dieting and hard training from the Hour of Honour came in. Then there were the other sacrifices like not going out for dinner and drinks, spending Sundays cooking for the week, passing on all the treats brought into the office at work ... I could go on. Many would say that I'm not "living" or I'm not having fun. I'd say it's quite the opposite. Even though the 2-hour Get RIPPED practices would end an hour before my bedtime and I would still have to drive home and eat ... I loved every minute of it. Even though at Hour of Honour I'd have to dig in because I already did an hour of cardio earlier that day ... I wouldn't have changed a thing. It all contributed to some great results. My weight went down ... my body fat went down ... I was looking lean and mean for Get RIPPED filming day! My trainer even said "Good job" and gave me a high five after doing my BF% test and compliments don't come easy from him. But what was most important, I had the energy and stamina to keep my energy levels UP for the entire day of filming ... with a smile on my face! I loved being a part of the Get RIPPED crew this year and being on set seemed like such a natural fit for me. Driving home after the long day, i was overcome with emotion ... fighting tears of joy. So when I go to Hour of Honour today and start to ask myself "Why?!" ... all I have to do is think about the joy I felt accomplishing a goal and getting an opportunity I'll never forget.

2 comments:

  1. Cara, I have been following your blogs and your progress and I would just like to let you know that you are inspirational to many of us.
    I have always struggled to get to the gym or my yoga classes and when I see you taking it to a completely different level it makes me want to do more. maybe not to the same level lol, but at least get off my behind and work out more consistently in order to look my best and more importantly, feel my best.
    So even if you are doing it for your own reasons, I'm sure there are many more people that are inspired by you and need to be reminded of why we can live to our best potential.
    Thanks!
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for being such an amazing inspiration.

    Always!

    I can't wait to see the video!

    ReplyDelete