Monday, June 6, 2011

Drink to the "Beet"! Day 1 of my Juice Cleanse

3:56am
My first of three bottles of cleansing juice brought back an old childhood memory I'd rather forget. When I opened it up and took a whiff all I could smell were beets. I'm not a huge fan of beets. Reminds me of when we were forced to eat beets my Mom had pickled. We tried to eat them fast ... struggling not to gag. Needless to say I started to think "What did I get myself into?" However, I committed to this cleanse. I have to drink it. Took a sip. Mmmm. Not bad at all. I can't even taste the beets. Can I finish the entire bottle before heading to work? Yep! All done!

So far so good! Or was it?

5:41am ... Feeling hunger pangs. :( My body is so used to eating/chewing every 2 to 3 hours. It's saying "Feed me Cara! Where's my foooooood?! Where's my breakfast?!" Sorry stomach ... You got it already. ;)

6:36am ... Discovered another challenge: Need to peeeeee ... Again! I must find the nearest bathroom every morning. This will be difficult between 5am and 9am when I'm on location for work. I never know where I'll be. I might be in the middle of a field or by a busy highway. Good thing there was one close by today. What will tomorrow bring? We'll see.

8:41am ... I hope this gets easier. I think for my second bottle "The Green Drink" ... I'm going to sip it instead of guzzling the whole thing down ... then I won't feel so hungry.

10:55am ... I think I'm figuring this out. Sip throughout the day to quell the feelings of hunger. :)

1:28pm ... Just got home from work. This is the time when I get snack attacks. All I want is almonds! Anything I can grab and shove in my mouth. That's why I don't keep "junk" in my condo. Too easy to eat it all in one sitting. Instead I drink some lemon-cranberry water ... and take a nap.

2:44pm ... Starting my purple drink now. Last of the 3 bottles for the day. Tasty. Not really feeling hungry but would like to chew on something. I can't even have gum.

6:40pm ... yep ... I feel hungry and a little lethargic. One last thing to try before I go to bed ... the nut milk made from almonds! I hope it tastes as good as it sounds.

All in all ... it was a challenging day but not agonizing. I did feel hungry a lot and the water with the lemon-cranberry concentrate helped. Day 2 is supposed to be more challenging ... and I've been told a time when you start to look at your "psychological attachment to food".

Stay tuned ...

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds intense! I don't think I could do a cleanse--I need to have some solid food in my system at all times! Though sometimes, I do think I could live off protein shakes... How was the nut milk?? Good luck with the next few days!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz! It's not that intense actually. If you are used to dieting for a competition then you could do this. It's only 3 days. But if you eat poorly or too much then it would seem intense. It's a chance for my organs to get a break from so much food/protein. It's also a mental exercise. I've identified the times when I tend to have cravings.
    The nut milk was yummy and filling! Read my latest blog entry for more!

    ReplyDelete