Tuesday, May 17, 2011

To Compete or Not To Compete


I did it! I competed in my 7th figure show earning a 2nd and 3rd in my height class for Masters and Open respectively. I admit I'm glad it's over. The last few weeks are always the most difficult. And without fail I always say the same thing in those last weeks "I think this will be my last competition". And then when it's all over I start planning the next one. So with two trophies in hand I ask myself once again ... "To Compete or Not to Compete?"



Why would I NOT compete? Well no offence to anyone involved in these competitions (including me) but it's kind of stupid. Why would anyone work their ass off in the gym for months, bring their best body to the stage, and then have someone else decide whether it's good enough to win? Makes no sense when you REALLY think about it. But it is what it is. So I try to go in these shows competing against myself which is difficult sometimes. One reason is because I'm competitive and want to win hardware every time. Don't we all? And guaranteed there is going to be a call by the judges that will leave people scratching their heads in confusion. That happens in EVERY federation. Not one organization is excluded from this. They are ALL guilty. It's a subjective competition.

Why would I compete again? Like I've said many times before, I love the journey ... the training, the clean diet, how my body looks and feels as it gets tighter and stronger. I also love connecting with like-minded people ... that has to be the best part. And of course, I love having that fitness goal to work towards.

So will I compete again? I don't know yet. I get better and better every year so it would be a shame not to. And I had a great time working with Trainer N8. But do I really want to be judged on how I look? I think I get enough of that being on TV every day.

In the meantime as I try to decide, I will focus on improving my fitness level, eating clean (with a little dirty eating from time to time) and having fun living life. Plus I have some other fitness goals that are putting me on a "stage" of sorts ...

2 comments:

  1. Cara

    Thank you for this candid and honest post. Congratulations on your wins - but more importantly congratulations on your commitment to your health and fitness.

    I have watched two friends compete - and agree with your comment about "have someone else decide whether it's (your body) good enough to win"

    I have so much respect for how committed you are to your physical health... Maybe I should tap into the competitive side of me and use it to inspire me???

    Congratulations
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have such a healthy attitude about competing. and you love fabulous girl!

    ReplyDelete