Thursday, May 26, 2011

Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway

My biggest fear is failure. Probably pretty common with many people. I take risks all the time. It's scary. But for the most part I let the fear fuel me. You could say I feel the fear and do it anyway.

This next risk I'm about to take is kind of scaring me. It has to do with my latest fitness goal. I'm even scared to share it! Why? Well, what if I fail? What if I tell people what I want to do and I get discouraging comments? What if I say I'm going to do it and then I'm too scared to follow through?

So this is it: I'm going to get my Personal Training certification. *hides face*. See how nutso-crazy that is? Hahaha!

This is not the first time I've taken a "nutso-crazy" risk like this. The last time was when I switched from a career as a Computer Analyst to a career in TV news. I was fearful of what people would say about my decision. But to be honest, I only remember one discouraging comment from someone whose brother was just laid off at a local TV station. Back then, I didn't let that negative comment bother me because most of the reaction I received was positive. In fact, I got positive feedback from the people I least expected to get it from.

So what's the worst that could happen as I embark on this new fitness goal? I could take the PT courses, gain some valuable knowledge that I could use for myself, and stop there. Or I could get out of my comfort zone, take a risk, and venture into this industry. After all, without risk, there's no growth. So when I grow up, I want to share the joys of healthy living by helping others take control of their health. I will feel the fear and do it anyway.

As I put the final touches on this blog entry I spotted a quote on Twitter... just when I needed it: Successful people replace the words "wish", "should", and "try" with I WILL.

So I challenge you to finish this sentence for yourself: I WILL ...

5 comments:

  1. Your post today is inspiring me to meet my goals. I am preparing for my first Fitness competition ever, and its people like you who help people like me move towards my goals : )

    I put on three pounds since my last weigh in so was feeling a little down....but I WILL lose it and I WILL compete and I WILL make it to my goal.

    I really hope you WILL do it and get your PT certificate and venture out there.

    Thanks for making my afternoon so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!!! YEAH!!! I am so happy for you!!! YOU CAN DO IT!! I speak from experience. In 2008 I became a part time PT, last fall I left the corporate world behind to do it full time...a scary decision, but the best decision. You will be an awesome trainer...wait..You are an awesome Personal Trainer!!

    Charmaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the words of encouragement! (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will be great at it Cara! I would love to be trained by you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cara, can you tell me who you are thinking of getting your PT certification through? It was suggested to me today and I am at a loss as to where is the best place to attain it. Can Fit Pro was one of the places I'm considering, but can you suggest another? Any suggestion you can give would be appreciated. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete