Monday, January 23, 2012

An Old Blog Entry Has Become New Again


There's so much going on in my life right now that I could write a blog every day on many different topics. However, today I need to repeat a blog entry that I wrote back in June of 2010. Because of some personal changes in my life, I find myself taking a closer ... and sometimes critical ... look at my appearance. The following old blog entry has become new again and reminds me that my uniqueness is beautiful.:


THEY DON'T LOOK LIKE ME (AND THAT'S ALRIGHT) - June 2010

As I sit in the change room waiting to get my makeup done for my very first fitness photo shoot ... I'm nervously checking out the other ladies that are taking part. It's not a competition but I'm comparing myself. This is so out of my comfort zone! Mainly because when I look at all the models in many of the popular fitness magazines, I can’t identify with any of them. They don’t look like me. Black. Super short natural “mini-fro”. Real boobs. 40-plus. Many of them, fitness is their livelihood. For me it’s a hobby (that’s turning into a bit of a passion.) But even though I've got little in common with the ladies in the magazines (besides the love of fitness) I love my look! I created it! Who cares if I don't look like the typical fitness model. I’m just so fortunate that I can BE a fitness model for a few hours! And wow ... what an experience I had at the Best Body Model Fitness shootout with David Ford and Annette Milbers. So many people told me it was going to be amazing. They said not to be nervous because David and Annette would make you feel comfortable and that they were so good at what they do. Well ... believe the hype. You can’t get more comfortable than this ... I started with jeans and a tank top at the beginning of the shoot ... ended up in lingerie at the end of it all. Crazy. Still can’t believe I did it ... but that’s just how comfortable I felt working with them. I felt more than comfortable with my look. I felt more than comfortable in my own skin.

So forget about that guy who said I should put on a few pounds and grow my hair (seriously ... a guy I was “sweet” on, told me that. The “sweet” is turning “sour”). Forget about how the stereotypical fitness model looks. Forget about what people are comfortable with. I encourage you to get out of your comfort zone and be UNIQUE.


Unique is what I strive to be. Authentic is most important to me.

2 comments:

  1. I love this. You helped me quash some my own inner fears this morning. every BODY is different and I'm learning to celebrate mine post competing knowing that its not always going to be in the extreme fitness shape. but fitness is a passion for me as well. I am just hoping that I can get to a place where looking at my body at any stage of competing or post competing will be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, love your blog! I am slowly trying to get in shape myself. Your blog is an absolute inspiration! I am new to blogger myself. I now have a blogspot too. I just followed you and hoping you'll follow back. Look forward to you future blogs!

    ReplyDelete